Pages - Menu

February 06, 2021

I Have a Car Now, and I Can't Believe How Much It Has Changed My Life!

So in my last post, I was whining about how horrible my life was, mostly because of not having a car. I hadn't had a car in ten years, and while I made do, it was becoming more and more apparent how it restricted my life. I got very frustrated by not being able to get where I wanted to go on the bus, and not being able to do much of anything in the summer because it was just too hot to ride the bus. 

My son read that post and felt the need to help me, so he showed up very unexpectedly to my house and when we went outside to take a picture to be framed, there was my car -- with a huge purple bow on it! I didn't realize what was going on until I said "Whose car is that with the big bow on it?" and my son said "That's your car!" It didn't really hit me for a second or two, but when it did, I went crazy!

Being as private as I am, I won't tell you what kind of car it is, or post a picture, but it's a small hatchback with plenty of room to haul around all my shopping and more. It gets great gas mileage, and has all kinds of cool features. It's a dark color, so I'll probably buy a light colored cover to keep it cooler in the summer, but it's just so pretty, I don't mind that. 

The Many Advantages of Having a Car

Some of the advantages of having a car are obvious, like not having to ride the bus and being unable to go to places buses don't go. Other advantages are that since this car gets such good gas mileage, not only can I go to stores when I need to, but it costs me less than paying someone to take me, since I live about 1.5 miles away from a huge shopping center (seriously, it's over a mile long and a half mile deep) that has every store I could ever want and is adding more all the time, so I can make five trips for what it used to cost me for one trip.

I don't have to wait and stockpile groceries now, because I can go more often. I can also go to stores I couldn't really go to before because they are farther away and the cost savings wasn't worth what I had to pay someone to take me.

I can also browse now, instead of worrying about tying up someone else's time by taking too long to shop. Since all the stores are so close together, I can spend hours going from store to store instead of having to rush in and out of just a couple so my ride can get back home. You don't know how wonderful that is, since I'm a "shopper," not a "consumer," so I like to look in shops to find out where the best and cheapest stuff can be bought. Plus, when I'm stressed, I like to just go window shopping. I hardly ever buy anything, but walking around looking at things I can dream about is just relaxing to me. Dreaming makes you plan and save, which is a good thing, and it also gives me lots of decorating ideas that I can do much cheaper on my own.

Getting Exercise? Not a Problem!

I was worried that I wouldn't walk enough now that I have the car, but I park it at the end of the parking lot where there is a space that is extra-large and forces me to walk a bit more. In parking lots, I always park way out at the end (weather permitting) to get some extra steps in. PLUS -- ADDED BONUS -- now I can go to the nature preserve about 2 miles away from here and walk the trails. It's a beautiful place with lovely boardwalks that go out over the wetlands, so you can watch all the animals, birds and plant life.  It will take me about 10 minutes to get there now, instead of 40 on the bus.

I'm looking into maybe volunteering at a botanical garden nearby, although it's getting a bit close to hot weather. I may wait until later when it's cooler to do that. Also, might get some kind of job for a couple of days a week, or teach some computer courses at the Senior Center. There are a lot of possibilities.

And as my older son pointed out, I can take day trips, like I always used to love to do. There is so much of this area I've never seen. I may even move out of Gainesville, but I sort of love my apartment, and while I love the country, it's a lot of work to live in the country and it costs more than most people think. Still, I could look for something with a little bit more of a yard maybe. We'll see. 

A Car Means More Independence

Anyway, I'm so grateful to my son for doing this for me, and I'm going to use it to my best advantage to better my life and make money so I can be more self-sufficient, healthier and happier. I've always felt so bad about being so poor in my old age and knowing I would have to depend on them when I get unable to care for myself. I don't like being dependent, and this will help me be more independent while I am able, at least. 

Speaking of being independent, I need to go get some white vinegar so I can clean my garden tools tomorrow, but first, I have to finish putting away the 10 lbs. of chicken I just cooked.

Have a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All Comments Are Moderated Before Appearing