Pages - Menu

July 05, 2021

The Saga of Angel: An Explanation of Her Behavior and a Hopeful Solution


 

Last night, during the fireworks, Angel went berserk. She was vocalizing, chasing around like something was chasing her, and seemed to be hallucinating. She wouldn't let me touch her, and was hissing at imaginary whatevers. I knew the fireworks were stressing her, but she's never acted like this! I Googled "cat acting like she's having hallucinations" and found an article that explained it all very well. Seems she may have a disorder called "Feline Hyperesthesia." It gets much worse during stressful times, and when she wasn't all well by this morning, I realized that it was likely her indoor environment that was also contributing to it.

I have been working for hours on moving boxes around so that Angel will have a more open and safe space. Managed to stack them so that she now has several little hidey holes and a way to climb up high, where she has a cushy box top covered in a quilted bedspread. She's already been exploring, and has given her approval. She's still spending most of her time outside, where she has space to run and play and hide, but I'm hoping this will make her want to stay inside more.

I live in such a small place, and while I'm decluttering and getting rid of most of what I own, she's been sort of pushed around and had no "play space." I'll still be decluttering, but will try to always arrange the boxes so that she has a livable area.

I didn't realize how stressed she was until last night, when she literally went into fits during the fireworks going off, because she had no place to hide. Now I'm going to create several hidey holes and climbing spaces for her all around the apartment so she will always have a place to go to feel safe.

Poor baby. I've been so concerned with my own projects, I didn't realize how much they affected her. I've never had a cat in such a small apartment, because I've never lived in such a small apartment. Once the decluttering is done, I'll build her the cat tower I've been collecting wood for, but right now, she will just have to do with climbing box mountains.

Hope you're having a lovely day, and remember that it costs nothing to be kind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All Comments Are Moderated Before Appearing