Pages - Menu

September 03, 2021

The Saga of Angel: How to Tame a Seemingly Demonic Stray

Angel, Sitting the Window Getting Some Sun 
 Angel is in demon cat mode this morning, but that's o.k. She's only this way a little bit now, as opposed to 24/7 when I got her. Right now, she's banned from the bedroom because she wants to bite, and once she gets calmed down, I'll give her the Rescue Remedy so she'll go to sleep. Then I can hopefully get her flea meds on. I have failed at that for the past two days. She absolutely hates them, so I have to wait until she's very soundly sleeping to sneak them onto her.

Angel is the most damaged stray I've ever had. I admit, I almost gave up on her several times at first, because she was so aggressive and destructive, and I have the scars on my ankles to prove it! So how did I do it? I stopped punishing her, and started loving her and giving her more attention. I petted her and told her what a good cat she was every time I passed by her. I played with her a lot, outside and inside. The only punishment she gets now is being locked out of the bedroom when she's too rambunctious. 

So now she's showing me her tummy, and letting me scratch it a little. She lets me scratch down next to her tail, and under her chin. She isn't really snuggling yet, but she will sometimes come and sit by me and want love. I think she knows I'm not going to abandon her, but she's still a bit wary that I'll disappear. 

She loves to be outside, even in the heat, although she will come in if it's too hot. She doesn't even want to come in during gentle rainstorms anymore. Thunder doesn't freak her out, because she knows she has a safe place to go. Mowers and other loud  noises still scare her, but they scare all cats. 

She hates the vacuum! The other day, after I had vacuumed and before I put it away, she attacked it and knocked it over, then peed on it. Instead of punishing her, I simply turned it on and let it run for awhile, to show her it wouldn't hurt her. She hid, then came out and walked around it at a safe distance, finally trying to put her paw on it, She still hates it, but it doesn't scare her as much.

She wants to be outside at night, because Boo kitty is outside at night. I don't hear them fighting, so I hope they are working out their differences. She sits in the window, waiting for Boo to come out, then runs to the door and meows and gives a hiss to get out. She associates hissing with Boo, so I know that's what she's talking about When I try to get her in, she'll hiss if she wants to stay out with Boo a while longer, so I let her. She never goes far from the house, because Boo never does. She's very protective of Boo. The other day, there was a bad thunderstorm and she came running to the door, and when I opened it thinking she wanted to come in, she just stood there and hissed, and ran out into the yard, trying to get me to follow her. I didn't see Boo, but she hissed again and ran under the fence, so evidently, Boo and she have found a safe place somewhere beyond the fence to be during storms. 

I honestly love this cat more than I should, but she'll never replace the original Angel. I still miss her, and feel her presence, feel her jumping up on the bed and snuggling up next to me. Maybe I'm imagining it, but there are things in life we can't explain. 

If you are looking for a cat, please consider getting a shelter cat. Many times, they need much more attention, love and patience, but they are well worth the work and time  involved. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

All Comments Are Moderated Before Appearing